This week’s listmaker: Ellen Cerasale. Ellen is a well-known redhead and an associate copywriter at Well Done Marketing.
When I was asked to do a Punchlist on my favorite redheads, I thought that choosing a few likeable gingers would be easy as pie. But no, it’s not that easy. Since I am the reddest of the redheads, this is personal. I have to choose favorites based on who best represents people like me.
In a society where gingers have no souls and redheaded stepchildren are spawns of the devil, it’s easy for my kind to get a bad rap. The stereotype of the unlikable, freckle-faced redhead seen in movies and on TV is overplayed. Pop culture figures who I can relate to and who also share my hair color are hard to come by.
Redheads in general are hard to come by. According to Wikipedia, redheads make up 2-6% of the population in the United States. Perhaps the “ginger stigma” comes from blondes and brunettes that are jealous of a hair color that is anything but common. So if you are a soulless ginger, I invite you to raise your glass and honor the following people who hold it down for the redheads.
1. The Weasleys. They may be eccentric and goofy, but this all-redheaded family is one that all blondes and brunettes wish they could be a part of. If it weren’t for the protection and guidance provided by the Weasleys, Harry Potter may not have lived to see a fourth book. Ron Weasley, the youngest Weasley boy, is Harry Potter’s lovable best friend who made young men everywhere jealous when he married the beautiful and smart Hermione Granger at the end of the series. Harry even ended up having his own ginger baby when he married Ginny Weasley.
2. Lucille Ball. Lucille Ball is probably the most iconic redhead in pop culture history. Her legendary comedic performances were coupled with beauty and grace: a combination not often seen today. I grew up watching I Love Lucy on Nick At Nite. My grandma, who passed the recessive red hair gene to me, grew up watching I Love Lucy on primetime television. Although it’s only hair color, I always felt that the three of us had a special bond. Ms. Ball made it clear that redheads were special when she said, “Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead.”
3. Ariel. I’m a child of the ‘90s, which means I’m a sucker for animated Disney movies. There’s no denying that the best Disney Princess movie of all time is The Little Mermaid. Ariel made a big splash in my life when I was a little girl. The movie came out when I was perfect age to be obsessed with mermaids and princesses and since Ariel was a redhead who was both mermaid and princess, I was beyond obsessed. (Still might be.) What’s not to love about this Disney Princess? She is gorgeous and has an unparalleled singing voice. Her best friends are a fish and a crab. Not to mention she ends up with Eric, who is the hottest Disney Prince.
4. Prince Harry. This guy sure has lived up to the stereotype that redheads have more fun. Prince Harry’s latest escapades in Las Vegas have made him a tabloid target, but despite from revealing the royal family jewels, Harry has got it made. First and foremost, he’s a prince. Sure, some girls may find all ginger dudes unattractive, but all girls find princes attractive so Harry will have no trouble finding his princess. His older brother William is heir to the throne so that means Harry doesn’t have all the royal responsibilities, making him even more attractive. It is pretty cool that there is a royal redhead. Maybe there will be more to come, especially if he marries me!
5. Wendy. My final, favorite redhead is someone who has never ceased to hold it down for the redheads. Her famous red braided pigtails have been iconic in American culture. No, I’m not talking about Pippi Longstocking, I’m talking about Dave Thomas’s daughter Wendy, who is the face of the popular fast food chain, Wendy’s. She is one of the few redheads who has maintained the same, positive image throughout her career. The new advertising campaign for Wendy’s features a bright redheaded, modern-day Wendy who is always there to cheerfully remind people that a bacon cheeseburger is the perfect solution to a boring lunch. Honestly, nothing can beat the fiery goodness of Wendy’s spicy chicken nuggets.